Alumni Resume Book
834 Llanfair Road
Rydal, PA 19046
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
- Expertise with green initiatives, sustainable procurement and Environmentally Preferable Products (EPP) research. Strong knowledge in writing specifications, identifying trends and promoting best practices for use of EPP. Knowledge of the integration of environmental, social and governance factors into business strategies to encourage practices of Social Corporate Responsibility (SCR). Graduate research experience in environmental science. Research experience with environmental journals and on-line databases. Extensive hands-on knowledge of woody plant identification and landscape design for NE region of the United States.
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
Philadelphia, PA · 1997 - 1999
Master of Liberal Arts; Environmental Studies
- Graduated with Cumulative Average 3.84
- Distinguished Capstone Project: Effects of Zinc Smelter Emissions and Potential for Phytostabilization at Palmerton, Pennsylvania. I focused on the potential for cleaning up a Superfund site through the process of phytoremediation: the use of plants to remove toxins in contaminated soil and water.
- I conducted research on the reclamation of brownfields, abandoned and underused spaces in the industrial section of a city or town.
- My Penn Capstone was awarded honors as a Distinguished Paper by the School of Arts and Sciences, Environmental Studies Certificate Program.
Saint Davids · 1995 - 1997
Bachelor of Arts; Organizational Management
- Graduated with Distinction, Cumulative Average 3.88
- Most Outstanding Thesis Award
- Delta Mu Delta, Honor Society in Business Administration
- Developed skills in collaborative leadership and conflict management that were directly applicable in operating a landscape design business and my subsequent teaching positions.
Philadelphia, PA · 1981 - 1983
Associate of Science; Horticulture and Landscape Design
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Cumulative Average 3.49
- Horticulture and Landscape Design Faculty Award
- Focused on the importance of conserving resources, of limiting or avoiding the use of hard pesticides, of protecting biologic diversity and of using native plants.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK - DEPARTMENT OF CITYWIDE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES (DCAS); BUREAU OF QUALITY ASSURANCE (BQA); DIVISION OF MUNICIPAL SUPPLY SERVICES (DMSS)
New York, NY · 2007 - 2009
- SUSTAINABLE PROCUREMENT EXPERIENCE
- Manager in a three person environmental group at DCAS/DMSS, the purchasing arm for New York City
- Contributed to DMSS increasing EPP purchases from $192 million in FY 2007 to $265 million in FY 2008, a 38% increase in EPP purchases, representing almost 30% of $860 million total acquisitions
- Engaged with the vendor community and city agencies to arrange meetings for EPP demonstrations
- Environmental Research
- Researched many environmental topics including green legislation, sustainability, EPP, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and environmental health hazards (e.g., Hazardous Materials Identification System, HMIS)
- Provided technical reports and memos to aid staff and the Deputy Commissioner in making key decisions
- Interacted with 60 city/government agencies, contractors and other entities
- Specification & Contract Design
- Performed pre-award specification evaluations for proposed EPP
- Participated in weekly procurement bid solicitations, evaluated NYC specifications, signed off on revisions
- Provided technical support to procurement staff for EPP contract revisions, waste reduction, energy- efficient technology and third-party environmental certification (i.e., Energy Star, Green Seal, Environmental Choice, EPAs Design for the Environment [DfE], Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool [EPEAT], and Forest Stewardship Council [FSC])
- Collected procurement data from various DMSS units for Annual EPP Fiscal Year Report
- Monitored NYCs Purchasing Plan for compliance with federal, state & local environmental regulations
- Examined existing DMSS specifications/contracts (over 160 per year) to identify new opportunities for use of EPP, waste reduction, energy-efficient technologies and recycled products
- Updated American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) international technical standards in city contracts to maintain quality control of specifications and Commercial Item Descriptions (CIDs)
- Assisted with creating DMSS Green Portal site allowing end-users to easily identify/obtain green products that meet updated Environmentally Preferable specifications
- Created matrices to direct DMSS procurement to adhere with PlaNYC 2030 goals
- Handled requests from Mayors 311 Line (via electronic Tickler System) for evaluations of proposed EPP
MARK J. FOLKMAN LANDSCAPE DESIGN
Rydal, PA · 1997 - Present
- HORTICULTURE & LANDSCAPE DESIGN EXPERIENCE
- Prepare plans and design environmentally sustainable landscapes
- Write landscape specifications/contracts for residential and commercial sites
- Institute Xeriscaping, i.e., design for water conservation with plants adapted to arid regions
- Orchestrated site analysis, designed landscapes, prepared bids and performed services for 88 customers
- Developed creative landscape budget strategies to grow annual business sales to almost $135,000
- Coordinate and sub-contract construction installations, adhering to local zoning restrictions
- Perform landscape installations ranging up to approximately $25,000 and on property sizes up to 5 acres
- Maintain landscapes, i.e., hand prune, mulch, and fertilize plant materials, etc.
- Managed up to 18 employees and numerous sub-contractors for business within a 20-mile radius
- Maintained and managed financial records, employee payroll, and equipment inventory
- Created promotional materials to target specific markets in four Philadelphian suburban counties
- Formally PlanScapes, Rydal, PA, 1985 - 1994
NORTH MONTCO TECHNICAL CAREER CENTER
Lansdale, PA · 2002 - Present
Environmental/Horticulture Substitute Teacher
- Assist teacher in class duties and presentations, e.g., integrated pest management (IPM)
- Design lesson plans & teach students plant nomenclature, eco-friendly plant selection, marketing, landscaping, greenhouse management, and floral design via both practical & written projects
- Assess students performance, provide ongoing verbal feedback, and grade practical tasks
- Achieved high pass rate for students taking the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute(NOCTI) practical landscape exam
- I also work as an Environmental/Horticulture Substitute Teacher at Western Montgomery Career and Technology Center, Limerick, PA, 2007 - Present and Eastern Center for Arts and Technology, Willow Grove, PA, 2010 - Present.
UNAMI LAND DESIGN
Sumneytown, PA · 2002 - 2006
- Designed landscapes according to eco-conscious specifications using unified plant texture, color and size
- Located/selected plants at wholesale nurseries to obtain sufficient quantity and consistent plant quality
- Coordinated and performed landscape/construction installations ranging from $1,500 to $26,000
Trevose, PA · 1983 - 1984
- Prepared landscape specifications to maintain quality control of 30 Korman Apartment Communities, under the jurisdiction of 17 management offices, in Philadelphia, New Jersey and Baltimore areas
- Designed/executed landscape projects for high impact areas, i.e., entrances/signage
- Directed sub-contract operations and managed $368,000 landscape maintenance budget for 30 Korman properties up to 21 acres; implemented budgetary savings of $25,300 or 6.2%
Club Membership: School of Design
- Asset Management
Interested in a job/internship in:
- I will consider relocating to other geographical regions if career growth is possible in a proposed position.
Eight certifications from FEMA Emergency Management Institute plus other relevant training. Numerous papers on environmental topics. Details provided upon request.